Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Women in my Life

Today I honor the women in my life. These are the strongest women I have shared a part of my life with. They have imparted knowledge and experiences that have been laid down as cobblestones in my path of life. I would never have been what I am now if I had not been part of their lives.

My Mom

My very first teacher. The very first woman who loved me even before I was born. She gave up her career in banking when I came into her life. She is a woman of strength. Her devotion to the Catholic faith is beyond compare. She gave me the best a mother can give a child. We may have had misunderstanding when I was growing up, but now I understand. She was molding me to be a responsible adult. Now my mom is nearing 75 years of age. She's not old, mind you. She still attends aerobic classes in the mornings, gets around pretty well by walking and goes ballroom and belly dancing during the weekends. She enjoys the occasional stroll in the malls. "Love yourself so that you may be able to love others too," is her most famous advice. Thank you, Mama.
Mama in her bright colored dress with frilly collar
Ms. Ramos

My kindergarten teacher. I simply adored this woman. She never had an evil cell in her. She was so caring to each and every little girl in her class, just like a mother would care for her own children. She taught us how to be obedient little girls. She taught us about God and the power of prayer. Ms. Ramos is now a nun, and our kindergarten batch plan to visit her at the convent one of these days.
Me and my Kindergarten classmates with our teacher, Ms. Ramos at Maryknoll College (now Miriam College)

My daughter Kristine

My first born is now a full grown woman. She was the darling of the family, the first grandchild. My mom held a significant role in her upbringing which turned out very well. Kristine never gave me any problems while she was in school, she breezed through college and is now gainfully employed in one of the largest banking institutions. Level headed and grounded, Kristine makes me proud of her achievements in life. Now 27 years old, I have no other dream but to see her marry and start a family of her own.
My pretty little girl who's not so little anymore

My sister Heidee

My frugal and practical sister. She was the one who urged me to pick myself up from the rut I was in. If it were not for her, I would not have gotten into the call center industry. I would have probably ended up a bum if she did not burst my bubble. From her, I have learned that I should not be content with working 9 to 5. Despite her high position in a banking instution, she still has small businesses on the side. "A few pesos earned, when put together is a significant amount."
My "practical lifestyle" sister

My sister Rochelle

This quiet little kid who'd spend hours playing with her dolls turned out to be a purpose driven mom of two. A practicing orthodontist, my sister did not end up with just that. She enrolled in Nursing school and earned her second degree. She is preparing to land a job either as an Orthodontist or as a Nurse in the United States. With two professional degrees, the future is bright for her.
My sister Rochelle who never grows tired of perfecting her craft

My cousin Joyce

My very first best friend. Joyce and I are almost the same age and we had our first borns months apart. Unfortunately, Joyce's first child was not able to live longer than 5 days. The only one among her siblings who was not able to finish college, Joyce is a pillar of strength. She never took it to heart, and with the support of her husband, she found herself engaged in small business to help sustain the family. Joyce is now battling breast cancer, and all I ever pray for is for her to recover from it.
My very first best friend - my cousin Joyce

I am so blessed to have these women in my life. They have taught me to be strong, to go for my dreams, to be practical and to never stop learning. 

Do you have women like these in your life?

14 comments:

  1. I love this post! I am sure that all of these wonderful women in your life appreciate the gratitude. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great heart warming post. All magnificent women and all deserve credit. I loved this post and yes, I have women in my life who significantly impacted me. I will be forever grateful for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet, sweet thing to do. And I see your Mom is right there at the top. I hope my Daughter feels this way about me. Thank you for such a nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How precious your family is!!It's so nice for someone to show appreciation to their mother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post acknowledging all the wonderful women in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you are surrounded by amazing women!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful tribute to these amazing women. Glad you had so many to look up to and appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your inspirations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. admirable. they seem like a wonderful women. you have adorable daughter and a lovely mom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a lovely post. Also such a great way to show appreciation to those you absolutely love and have shown their love and support for you. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this. I love seeing pictures of the important women in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet and precious post. I feel that way about my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this- a great reminder to recognize those closest to us who we often take for granted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your mom is so lovely. Wow, your daughter was raised very well indeed! Your sisters are great and I am praying for your cousin Joyce :)
    Keep inspiring us sisterette! ♥

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts. However, kindly refrain from adding links in your comments because they will be marked as spam and filtered out. Thank you!